|Father:||Joshua Lackland Higgins (1839-1904)|
|Mother:||Mary Augusta Hammond (1841-1928)|
|Brother:||Henry Hammond Higgins (1864?-1865?)|
|Sister:||Florence Gladys Higgins (1867-1961) m. William Thomas Hammond, 1907-10-16.|
|Sister:||Caroline Elizabeth Higgins (1870-1955) m. Joseph Shepherd, 1895-07-12.|
|Sister:||Lillian Virginia Higgins (1873-1955) m. Dr. Rezin A. Hammond, 1897-07-08.|
|Sister:||Harriet Lucille Higgins (1876-1943) m. Frank Hogan Fields, 1900-08-16.|
|Brother:||Stanley Lackland Higgins (1878-????) m. Rebecca Wright Matthews, 1909-10-12.|
|Sister:||Temperance Higgins (1884-????)|
|Husband:||William George Higgins (1869-1937) married 1917-12-29, Atlantic City, NJ, USA.|
|Son:||Richard Lackland Higgins (1919-1999)|
|Place:||Fairview, Gambrills, Anne Arundel County, MD, USA|
|Record:||Compiled by Stella S. Ivey.|
|Book:||Genealogy of the Linthicum and Allied Families, 1934, compiled and edited by Matilda P. Badger.|
|Link:||FamilySearch™ Ancestral File|
|Link:||FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index/North America|
|Link:||U. S. Social Security Death Index|
An article in the October 1982 issue of the Anne Arundel County History Notes - spelling and punctuation as in original.
Mrs. Dallas Higgins of Gambrills, Maryland celebrated her|
101st birthday on August 28, 1982. She is a direct descendant
of Major John Hammond, who was born in 1643 and died in
1707. He is buried in St. Anne's Church Yard on Church Circle,
Annapolis. The silver tankard owned by Major Gen. Ham-
mond, is displayed in a photograph in Mrs. Higgins home. The
picture was taken in 1903 by the last known owner of the
tankard - Dr. John Wesley Brown of Baltimore. The tankard has
eight notches in it - the last one done by Dr. Brown. The tankard
has since disappeared and its present ownership is unknown.
Mrs. Dallas Higgins lives in the family home where she was
born in 1881. The house overlooks the busy route 175 near Fort
Meade. It was built in 1865 on land given to her mother Mary
Agusta Hammond as a wedding present from her father George
Washington Hammond, when she married Joshua Lackland
Higgins. This 100 acres was part of the original land grant of
1000 acres to Major Gen. John Hammond in colonial times.
Dallas Hammond Higgins married William George Higgins, her
cousin, and their only child is Richard Lackland Higgins, who,
with his wife and family still reside at the family home. Richard
Higgins is married to an English girl - Pamela Sarah Elizabeth
Lugg, and they have three daughters, Jane, Pamela, and Mary.
Nearby this home is the Naval Academy Dairy Farm that was
once the home of the Hammond family. The old home was
burned down about ten years ago, after having been used for
years as apartments for dairy farm employees. It had fallen into
disrepair, and no longer resembled the beautiful country home
it once was. This is another example of what happens when
public apathy allows stately old mansions to be lost to posterity.
The Hammond family cemetery on the grounds has been well
maintained by the Naval Academy personnel.